Published release free firmware boot Libreboot 20,211,122 . This is the third release of the GNU Project and continues to be touted as a test release as it requires additional stabilization and testing. Libreboot develops a completely free project fork of the CoreBoot, providing a binary-stripped replacement for proprietary UEFI firmware and BIOS that are responsible for initializing CPU, memory, peripherals and other hardware components.
Libreboot is aimed at creating a system environment that allows you to completely do without proprietary software, not only at the operating system level, but also firmware that provides loading. Libreboot not only removes non-free components from CoreBoot, but also enhances it with tools to make it easier for end users to use, creating a distribution that can be used by any user with no special skills.
Among the supported by Libreboot hardware :
- Desktop systems Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L, Intel D510MO, Intel D410PT, Intel D945GCLF and Apple iMac 5.2.
- Servers and workstations: ASUS KCMA-D8, ASUS KGPE-D16, ASUS KFSN4-DRE.
- Ноутбуки: ThinkPad X60 / X60S / X60 Tablet, ThinkPad T60, Lenovo ThinkPad X200 / X200S / X200 Tablet, Lenovo ThinkPad R400, Lenovo ThinkPad T400 / T400S, Lenovo ThinkPad T500, Lenovo ThinkPad W500, Lenovo ThinkPad R500, Apple MacBook1,1 и MacBook2,1.
In the new version:
- changes from Ported CoreBoot 4.14 and new versions of SeaBIOS and GRUB.
- Support for removed from the system Tianocore build (open source implementation of UEFI) has been due to maintenance issues and unresolved issues. As a replacement, Libreboot will include a payload environment based on u-root , Linux kernel and Busybox.
- Fixed issues with using SeaBIOS (open source BIOS) on ASUS KGPE-D16 and KCMA-D8 motherboards.
- The number of boards for which 16-megabyte assemblies are formed has been expanded (with busybox and linux). For example, similar extended assemblies have been added for ASUS KGPE-D16, ThinkPad X60 and T60.
- The number of assemblies that include the memtest86 + application by default has been increased. It is not the original memtest86 + that is involved, but a fork from the Coreboot project, which is relieved of problems when working at the firmware level.
- A patch has been added to ThinkPad T400 builds to expand SATA / eSATA support, for example, to use additional SATA ports on T400S notebooks.
- In grub.cfg, the detection of LUKS usage with mdraid is provided, optimizations are made to speed up the search for encrypted LUKS partitions, the timeout is increased from 1 to 10 seconds.
- Support for the third mode is implemented for MacBook2,1 and Macbook1,1 “C state”, which allowed to reduce the temperature of the CPU and increase the battery life
- Resolved reboot issues on GM45 platforms (ThinkPad X200 / T400 / T500).