Mudita hassource code for the mobile platform , based on the real-time FreeRTOS operating system and optimized for devices with screens built using (e-ink) technology. MuditaOS code is written in C / C ++ and under the GPLv3 license.
The platform was originally designed for use on minimalist phones with e-paper screens that can go without recharging the battery for a long time. The core of the real-time operating systemused as a basis, for the operation of which a microcontroller with 64KB of RAM is sufficient. For data storage, fault-tolerant file system involved , developed by ARM company for the operating system mbed OS. The system supports HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and VFS (Virtual File System), which simplifies the implementation of support for new devices and other file systems. For high-level data storage, such as address book and notes, the SQLite DBMS is used.
Key features of MuditaOS:
- User interface specially optimized for monochrome e-paper screens. Availability of an optional “dark” color scheme (light letters on a dark background).
- Three operating modes: offline, do not disturb and online.
- Address book with a list of approved contacts.
- Messaging system with tree-structured output, templates, drafts, UTF8 and emoji support.
- Music player with MP3, WAV and FLAC support, handling ID3 tags.
- Typical set of applications: calculator, flashlight, calendar, alarm clock, notes, voice recorder, and meditation software.
- The presence of an application manager for managing the life cycle of programs on the device.
- A system manager that initializes on first startup and boots the system after turning on the device.
- Can be paired with Bluetooth headsets and speakers supporting A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) and HSP (Headset Profile).
- Can be used on phones with two SIM cards.
- USB-C fast charge control mode.
- (Voice over LTE) support .
- The ability to work as an access point for distributing the Internet to other devices via USB.
- Interface localization for 12 languages.
- Access to files using the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).
At the same time, the code of thedesktop application was , which provides functions for synchronizing the address book and calendar-scheduler with a stationary system, installing updates, downloading music, accessing data and messages from the desktop, creating backups, recovering from a failure and using the phone as access points. The program is written using the Electron platform and comes in assemblies for Linux (AppImage), macOS and Windows. In the future, it is planned to open applications (digital assistant for the Android platform) and (cloud storage and messaging system).
So far the only phone on the basis of MuditaOS is, the beginning of which the supply for 30 November. The declared cost of the device is $ 369. The phone is powered by an ARM Cortex-M7 600MHz microcontroller with 512KB TCM memory and is equipped with a 2.84-inch E-Ink screen (600×480 resolution and 16 shades of gray), 64 MB SDRAM, 16 GB eMMC Flash. Supports 2G, 3G, 4G / LTE, Global LTE, UMTS / HSPA +, GSM / GPRS / EDGE, Bluetooth 4.2 and USB type-C (Wi-Fi and Internet access via a cellular operator are not available, but the device can work as USB GSM- modem). Weight 140 g, size 144x59x14.5 mm. Replaceable Li-Ion 1600mAh battery with full charge in 3 hours. After switching on, the system boots up in 5 seconds.