The release of the open raster graphics editor Pinta 2.0 has been published , which is an attempt to rewrite the Paint.NET program using GTK. The editor provides a basic set of drawing and image processing capabilities, targeting novice users. The interface is simplified as much as possible, the editor supports an unlimited rollback buffer, allows you to work with multiple layers, is equipped with a set of tools for applying various effects and adjusting images. The Pinta code is licensed under the MIT license. The project is written in C # using Mono and the Gtk # binding. Binary assemblies prepared for Linux ( Flatpak , Snap), macOS and Windows.
In the new release:
- The program has been translated to use the GTK 3 library and the .NET 6 framework. The appearance of many widgets and dialogs has been updated, dialogs native to each platform are used, dialogs for choosing colors and working with files have been redesigned. In the tool for adding text, the standard GTK font selection widget is used.
- Added the ability to connect GTK3 themes.
- Improved support for high-DPI displays.
- The menu with the list of recently opened files has been removed, this functionality is now built into the file dialog.
- The sidebar with the list of editable images has been removed, replaced by tabs. Only panels with layers and history of operations are now located on the right side of the screen.
- Added status bar with information about position, selection, scale and palette.
- The toolbar has been made narrower (one column instead of two) by moving the palette to the bottom status bar.
- The interface for working with the palette has been redesigned. Added block with recently used colors. The colors of the main and minor palettes are now saved in the application settings.
- The tools ensure the preservation of settings between restarts.
- Added the ability to pan the canvas by clicking and dragging with the mouse.
- MacOS employs a global menu instead of an in-window menu. The installers for macOS and Windows have all the necessary dependencies built in (you no longer need to install GTK and .NET / Mono separately).
- Fill and smart selection performance has been improved.